Located off Florida’s sun-filled eastern shores, the School District of Palm Beach County in West Palm Beach is a high performing “A” rated urban school district. It is the 10th largest district in the nation and the fifth largest in the state serving more than 197,000 students who speak 146 languages and dialects. It is also the largest employer in Palm Beach County with 22,426 employees, including more than 13,080 teachers. The district has been rated in the top 100 of the best large US workplaces by Forbes Magazine.
With a diverse student body such as this one, the School District of Palm Beach County values the variety of cultures and ethnicities within its community. Its mission is to provide a world-class education with excellence and equity to empower each student to reach his or her highest potential with the most effective staff to foster the knowledge, skills, and ethics required for responsible citizenship and productive careers. The District supports all learners; it has 312 award-winning career academies, programs available for adult education at 28 sites, and instruction in several languages including Chinese, French, Italian, Latin, Spanish, and American Sign Language.
The School District of Palm Beach County works tirelessly to create a top-notch teacher force. You’ll be supported as soon as you walk in the door. All new teachers have a mentor as part of a District-run two-year educator support program that provides you with the tools to become an effective teacher. Professional development is a hallmark of the system and is available to you at school and district level, both in person and online. This community-centric, diverse school system will empower you to bring your passion for teaching and your dedication to serve all learners each and every day.
- Increase reading on grade level by 3rd grade. Literacy initiatives in the early grades work to combat gaps that can be challenging for students if unaddressed as they progress through school.
- Ensure high school readiness. Through effective and relevant instruction, designed to meet the needs of all students, the district prepares students for the demands of high school.
- Increase the high school graduation rate. With its high-performance culture and supportive school environments, the district aims to have every student move through high school with success.
- Foster post-graduate success. Across the district, educators work to ensure that students have the the knowledge, skills, and ethics required for responsible citizenship and productive careers in a global economy.
The mission of the School District of Palm Beach County is to educate, affirm, and inspire each student in an equity-embedded school system.
- 30-credit master of arts in teaching (MAT) program
- Meet online with NYU Steinhardt faculty and peers twice per week in the evening for your course work ~15 hours/week
- ~40 hours/week in classroom residency at partner location
- Tuition subsidy and stipend or wage from partner school
- Two-year commitment following residency required
- Full-day cost details
As a resident intern, you’ll be an Academic Success Tutor. This means you’ll work with individual students to develop tutoring plans that fit each student’s needs. In one-on-one and small group settings, you will provide supplemental instruction. Throughout the year, you will assess students’ progress and provide feedback to instructional staff. You will work together with other educators to make adjustments to the tutoring plans. All of this immersive tutoring is designed to assist you with understanding your students and their learning process, setting you up to have a class all to your own the following year.
The School District of Palm Beach County hereby affirms its commitment to maintaining a drug-free workplace. The term “drug-free” includes “alcohol-free.”
During residency year
$22,000 (8 hours/day)
After residency year
The starting salary for teachers is $47,500 with a supplement for advanced degrees (add $3,000 for a Masters Degree).
The figures above are estimates provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee these amounts.