Located about an hour inland off Florida’s sun-filled eastern shores, the School District of Palm Beach County (SDPBC) in Palm Beach is the 10th largest in the nation and the fifth largest in the state, serving more than 193,000 students who speak 145 languages and dialects.
With such a diverse student body, the School District of Palm Beach County values the variety of cultures and ethnicities within its community. Its mission is to provide a world-class education with excellence and equity to empower each student to reach his or her highest potential with the most effective staff to foster the knowledge, skills, and ethics required for responsible citizenship and productive careers. The district supports all learners. It has 312 award-winning career academies; programs available for adult education at 28 sites; and instruction in several languages, including Chinese, French, Italian, Latin, Spanish, and American Sign Language.
The School District of Palm Beach County works tirelessly to create a top-notch teacher force. You’ll be supported as soon as you walk in the door. All new teachers have a mentor as part of a district-run two-year educator support program that provides you with the tools to become an effective teacher. Professional development is a hallmark of the system and is available to you at school and district level, both in person and online. This community-centric, diverse school system will empower you to bring your passion for teaching and your dedication to serve all learners each and every day.
- Increase reading on grade level by 3rd grade. Literacy initiatives in the early grades work to combat gaps that can be challenging for students if unaddressed as they progress through school.
- Ensure high school readiness. Through effective and relevant instruction, designed to meet the needs of all students, the district prepares students for the demands of high school.
- Increase the high school graduation rate. With its high-performance culture and supportive school environments, the district aims to have every student move through high school with success.
- Foster post-graduate success. Across the district, educators work to ensure that students have the the knowledge, skills, and ethics required for responsible citizenship and productive careers in a global economy.
- 30-credit master of arts in teaching (MAT) program
- Meet online with NYU Steinhardt faculty and peers twice per week in the evening for your course work ~15 hours/week
- ~40 hours/week in classroom residency at partner location
- Tuition subsidy and stipend or wage from partner school
- Two-year commitment following residency required
- Full-day cost details
As a resident, you’ll be an academic success tutor. This means you’ll work with individual students to develop tutoring plans that fit each student’s needs. In one-on-one and small group settings, you will provide supplemental instruction. Throughout the year, you will assess students’ progress and provide feedback to instructional staff. You will work together with other educators to make adjustments to the tutoring plans. All of this immersive tutoring is designed to assist you with understanding your students and their learning process, setting you up to have a class of your own the following year.
During residency year
$16,380 (6 hours/day)
$21,840 (8 hours/day)
Residency: End of August 2021
After residency year
The job placement offer is provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee job placement.
The figures above are estimates provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee these amounts.