Our World Neighborhood
Located in Astoria, Queens, Our World Neighborhood Charter School (OWN) educates students to become independent thinkers and lifelong learners. Its educational philosophy is based on inquiry, active and experiential learning, and social justice.
OWN builds a well-rounded educational experience for all children. It does this through a purposeful focus on academics, as well as arts education and social-emotional learning opportunities. Through these experiential activities, students learn about world cultures, history of ideas, and, importantly, what it takes to be academically and socially prepared for the future.
The school, which was founded by a group of parents, works closely with families to navigate the education system and open doors for all students. The goal is for every student to leave school with new ideas of what is possible for their future.
As a teacher at OWN, you’ll find a highly collaborative and team-oriented environment. Time is carved out for planning together and for professional development on how to best serve OWN’s richly diverse student body.
Teachers also come from a variety of backgrounds, are open to new ideas and cultures, and showcase a willingness to learn, be reflective of their practice, and continually improve the school.
When you bring an open mind and passion for educating all students to OWN, you’ll find the support to help you grow professionally.
- Recommitting to experiential learning. OWN continually examines its project-based learning and determines what is most needed for students to succeed through hands-on learning.
- Developing responsive classroom. This approach connects academics to social-emotional learning. At OWN, focusing on a responsive classroom model is intricately linked to the school culture.
- Facilitating parent involvement. Families are a critical part of the success of all of OWN’s students. The faculty work hard to involve parents in all aspects of their child’s academics.
- 30-credit master of arts in teaching (MAT) program
- Meet online with NYU Steinhardt faculty and peers twice per week in the evening for your course work ~15 hours/week
- ~40 hours/week in classroom residency at partner location
- Tuition subsidy and stipend or wage from partner school
- Two-year commitment following residency required
- Full-day cost details
As a teacher resident, you’ll be a co-teacher in your content area. This means you’ll work alongside another teacher and gain responsibility throughout the year. All of this immersive learning is designed to assist you with understanding your students and their learning process, preparing you to have a class of your own the following year.
During residency year
Residency: End of August 2022
After residency year
The job placement offer is provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee job placement.
The figures above are estimates provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee these amounts.