Located in central New York, Syracuse City School District (SCSD) is a progressive and highly diverse district. With refugee resettlement so prominent, Syracuse has been named a Sanctuary City. The 21,000 students speak over 80 languages – making for a rich teaching landscape. Dedicated to a balanced approach to school improvement, the district offers the same level of support to teachers, students, and their families.
Syracuse offers a robust two-week teacher induction program, and all first-year teachers are assigned a mentor for feedback and observation. Marked by an “opportunity culture,” the district offers many opportunities for teacher advancement into multi-classroom leadership or administration.
- Greater parent engagement by creating a stronger home-school connection and finding ways for parents to become more active in their child's education.
- Continued expansion of our career and tech education programs, providing a hands-on approach to meeting the demands of a 21st-century world.
- Strive to personalize learning toward each student's distinct learning needs and strengths – for a more effective and impactful education.
- 30-credit master of arts in teaching (MAT) program
- Meet online with NYU Steinhardt faculty and peers twice per week in the evening for your course work ~15 hours/week
- ~40 hours/week in classroom residency at partner location
- Tuition subsidy and stipend or wage from partner school
- Two-year commitment following residency required
- Full-day cost details
During residency year
(Resident role subject to change by SCSD) $23,920 to $27,600
Residency: End of August 2022
After residency year
*Pending availability and eligibility
The job placement offer is provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee job placement.
The figures above are estimates provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee these amounts.