Syracuse City School District
Located in central New York, Syracuse City School District (SCSD) is a progressive and highly diverse district. With refugee resettlement so prominent, Syracuse has been named a Sanctuary City. The 21,000 students speak over 80 languages – making for a rich teaching landscape. Dedicated to a balanced approach to school improvement, the district offers the same level of support to teachers, students, and their families.
Syracuse offers a robust two-week teacher induction program, and all first-year teachers are assigned a mentor for feedback and observation. Marked by an “opportunity culture,” the district offers many opportunities for teacher advancement into multi-classroom leadership or administration.
- Greater parent engagement by creating a stronger home-school connection and finding ways for parents to become more active in their child's education.
- Continued expansion of our career and tech education programs, providing a hands-on approach to meeting the demands of a 21st-century world.
- Strive to personalize learning toward each student's distinct learning needs and strengths – for a more effective and impactful education.
- 30-credit master of arts in teaching (MAT) program
- Meet online with NYU Steinhardt faculty and peers twice per week in the evening for your course work ~15 hours/week
- ~40 hours/week in classroom residency at partner location
- Tuition subsidy and stipend or wage from partner school
- Two-year commitment following residency required
- Full-day cost details
During residency year
(Resident role subject to change by SCSD) $29,100
Residency: End of August 2022
After residency year
*Pending availability and eligibility
The figures above are estimates provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee these amounts.