Syracuse City School District
Located in central New York, Syracuse City School District (SCSD) is a progressive and highly diverse district. With refugee resettlement so prominent, Syracuse has been named a Sanctuary City. The 20,000 students speak over 80 languages – making for a rich teaching landscape. Dedicated to a balanced approach to school improvement, the district offers the same level of support to teachers, students, and their families.
New teachers to the Syracuse City School District are provided multiple layers of support including a mentor teacher to provide non-evaluative support, and a Peer Assistance Review staff member to provide evaluative feedback relative to their classroom practice. Various instructional and impact coaches provide additional means of supporting new teachers.
- Greater parent engagement by creating a stronger home-school connection and finding ways for parents to become more active in their child's education.
- Continued expansion of our career and tech education programs, providing a hands-on approach to meeting the demands of a 21st-century world.
- Strive to personalize learning toward each student's distinct learning needs and strengths – for a more effective and impactful education.
- 30-credit master of arts in teaching (MAT) program
- Meet online with NYU Steinhardt faculty and peers twice per week in the evening for your course work ~15 hours/week
- ~40 hours/week in classroom residency at partner location
- Tuition subsidy and stipend or wage from partner school
- Two-year commitment following residency required
- Full-day cost details
During residency year
(Resident role subject to change by SCSD) $30,000
After residency year
*Pending availability and eligibility
The figures above are estimates provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee these amounts.