Explore Charter Schools
Explore Schools manages a network of K through 8 urban public charter schools serving 2,000 students across the Brooklyn-based communities in Flatbush, Crown Heights, and Canarsie. Explore Schools center on culturally responsive instruction that “acknowledges the detrimental impact of racism” and seeks to “dismantle systems of oppression in our practices.” Explore prides itself on sending nearly 90 percent of graduates on to college-preparatory high schools.
Explore’s student-centered approach to education focuses on critical thinking, academic rigor, joy, and establishing identity affirming spaces for students. Enrichment activities in technology and computing, fine and performing arts, foreign language, athletics, and community health encourage students in the upper levels to explore their passions and creativity.
- Restorative Practices: In order to be responsive to the whole student and provide space for the student voice, Explore is refining their approach to restorative practices that include Morning Meeting and Socio-Emotional Learning.
- Quality of Instruction: There is a focus on continuous improvement of the quality of instruction, especially writing. This is done by providing more opportunities for students to write throughout the day.
- 30-credit master of arts in teaching in Secondary Education (Grades 7-12)
- Meet online with NYU Steinhardt faculty and peers twice per week in the evening for your course work ~15 hours/week
- ~40 hours/week in classroom residency at partner location
- Tuition subsidy and stipend or wage from partner school
- Full-day cost details
As a teacher resident, you’ll teach and learn in your content area. You’ll work alongside a mentor and gradually take on more instructional responsibility throughout the year. You also may be asked to substitute teach later in the year as well as support intervention work.
During residency year
After residency year
The figures above are estimates provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee these amounts.