Part-time Teacher Residency
30-credit MAT and part-time classroom experience
The part-time Teacher Residency prepares you for the realities of the classroom with rigorous course work and hands-on practice. In this part-time schedule, you complete a 30-credit master of arts in teaching and a 20-hour-per-week residency (referred to as “part-time” or “half-day”) in one partner school over the course of one year. Mentoring, coaching, advising, and moral support from your teacher mentor, content mentor, NYU Steinhardt faculty, and residency director provide a safe and effective environment to learn and grow. In addition, you forge meaningful relationships with your peers as they become your essential learning community throughout the residency year.
You build deep knowledge of how to serve all students – including emergent bilinguals and students with disabilities – in your chosen content area by gradually increasing responsibilities in the same school for the entire year. You are positioned to serve the communities in which you work through lessons on culturally-responsive teaching, asset-based approaches to education, and how to lift all students to reach their unique potential.
You have access to mentorship and support from your partner school while undergoing a part-time, 20-hour-per-week schedule in the same school for the entire year. Once you graduate, there is no requirement to teach at your partner location beyond the residency year.
Part-time Teacher Residency benefits
- Part-time residency schedule (20 hours/week)
- NYU Steinhardt’s innovative curriculum to support teacher preparedness and effectiveness
- Online learning that uses state-of-the-art tools to connect practice, mentoring, and course work in a collaborative environment
- Supportive cohort learning from teacher resident peers
- Individual growth cultivated and guided by NYU Steinhardt’s expert faculty and teacher mentors
- No tuition subsidy or stipend wage provided by district/charter partners
- No requirement to teach at partner location beyond the residency year
Learn more about the part-time Teacher Residency
Find information on the school partners where you can learn to teach. Examine the fees associated with this program. Learn what a typical weekly schedule looks like and what your teaching mentor’s role is in your success.
If you’re not sure what option is for you, explore the full-time Teacher Residency.