Full-time Teacher Residency
30-credit MAT and full-time classroom experience
The full-time Teacher Residency prepares you for the realities of the classroom with rigorous course work and hands-on practice. Over the course of one year, you complete a 30-credit master of arts in teaching and a full-time, 40-hour-per-week paid residency in one partner school. Mentoring, coaching, advising, and moral support from your teacher mentor, content mentor, NYU Steinhardt faculty, and residency director provide a safe and effective environment to learn and grow. In addition, you forge meaningful relationships with peers as they become your essential learning community throughout the residency year.
You build deep knowledge of how to serve all students – including emergent bilinguals and students with disabilities – in your chosen content area by gradually increasing responsibilities in the same school for the entire year. You are positioned to serve the communities in which you work through lessons on culturally-responsive teaching, asset-based approaches to education, and how to lift all students to reach their unique potential.
You have access to mentorship and support from your partner school while undergoing a consistent full-time schedule in the same school for the entire year. You also make a commitment to your partner school for a period of time beyond the residency year.
Full-time Teacher Residency benefits
- Affordable tuition supported by NYU Steinhardt and partner investments
- Full-time, paid teaching residency
- NYU Steinhardt’s innovative curriculum to support teacher preparedness and effectiveness
- Online learning that uses state-of-the-art tools to connect practice, mentoring, and course work in a collaborative environment
- Supportive cohort learning from teacher resident peers
- Individual growth cultivated and guided by NYU Steinhardt’s expert faculty and teacher mentors
- Priority hiring from school district and charter network partners for successful graduates, based on availability and eligibility
Learn more about the full-time Teacher Residency
Find information on the various locations across the country where you can learn to teach. Examine the fees and scholarships available to you. Learn what a typical weekly schedule looks like and what your teaching mentor’s role is in your success.
If you’re not sure what option is for you, explore the part-time Teacher Residency.