The NYU Teacher Residency is designed to prepare you for the realities of the classroom with rigorous technology-enhanced course work and the holistic support of hands-on practice. You build your knowledge of how to serve all students in your content area – including emergent bilinguals and students with disabilities – through a full year of gradually increasing your responsibilities in the classroom. Becoming a highly skilled educator, a teacher ready to ensure the success of all learners, is important work. It’s also hard work that requires a community of people dedicated to growing your efficacy in the classroom.
You graduate from the program with the foundation to make the greatest impact to teaching and learning in your classroom, school, system, and community.
Note: The course work and fieldwork lead to eligibility for initial teaching certification in New York state. Please visit our Professional Licensure page for more information.
One-Year Program Benefits
- Affordable tuition is supported through NYU and partner investments.
- The program is anchored by a full-time paid teaching residency.
- New teacher effectiveness is increased with NYU Steinhardt's innovative curriculum.
- Technology-enhanced learning connects practice, mentoring, and course work.
- Total immersion and rigorous academics build a foundation for teaching success.
- Supportive cohort learning from each other and each other's environments is cultivated and guided by strong faculty and teaching mentors.
- School district and charter network partners will prioritize hiring successful graduates, based on availability and eligibility.
“Building relationships are the cornerstone of my teaching. My students trust and respect me, and they know that what we learn in class is for their benefit and their future success. ADRIANNA 2018 GRADUATE ”