Lighthouse Academies is a network of K-12 charter schools. Its mission is to prepare students for college, career, and life through a rigorous arts-enriched program. The network was founded to address the staggering achievement gap, which affects the lives of a disproportionate number of people of color. NYU Steinhardt’s Teacher Residency is partnering with Lighthouse Academy Charter Schools in NYC.
Combined with a college prep curriculum, Lighthouse Academies’ staff are advocates and practitioners of restorative justice. This is accomplished with a lens to social-emotional learning, which fosters excellent collaboration among staff and students and inspires meaningful contribution to the learning community. The schools are guided by the four “Habits of Scholars for K-12”: active community membership, critical thinking, effective communication, and self-direction and management.
Teachers at Lighthouse bring their commitment to restorative practices, and they grow because of the support of the school community. You will have a coach to support you in your progression as a content-area expert and an educator with the skills to serve the whole child. On a weekly basis, time is carved out for you to collaborate with your colleagues and together create a school culture that serves every child.
Charter network initiatives
- Rigorous academics designed to prepare students for college. Lighthouse has an extended school year (190 days) and school day (8 hours).
- Social development that pays attention to the social and emotional needs of students. This includes the actionable skills program, Habits of Scholars and life coaching for students during their senior year of high school and first two years of college.
- Arts enrichment into the core curriculum. Teachers learn how to instruct with art activities and techniques as a way to strengthen problem-solving and critical thinking skills – adding to overall academic achievement and school success.
- 30-credit master of arts in teaching (MAT) program
- Meet online with NYU Steinhardt faculty and peers twice per week in the evening for your course work ~15 hours/week
- ~40 hours/week in classroom residency at partner location
- Tuition subsidy and stipend or wage from partner school
- Two-year commitment following residency required
- Full-day cost details
As a resident, you'll work full time under a mentor teacher and have the opportunity to support students daily. Your role in the classroom increases over the course of the year – progressing from working with students one-on-one to facilitating small group discussions, and eventually lead teaching. At the high school level, residents will also assist students in a college advisor role. At the middle school level, residents will play an integral role in tutoring.
During residency year
(Resident role subject to change by Lighthouse Academies) $25,000
Residency: End of August 2022
After residency year
The job placement offer is provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee job placement.
The figures above are estimates provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee these amounts.