Bronx Charter School for Excellence
The Bronx Charter School for Excellence (BCSE) creates a supportive and caring environment with high expectations for all students. The school has built a community of learners that has been recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School by the US Department of Education.
As part of the Excellence Community Schools charter network, Bronx Excellence prepares young scholars to compete for admission to and succeed in top public, private, and parochial high schools by cultivating their intellectual, artistic, social, emotional, and ethical development. The school offers a challenging and rigorous academic curriculum, which, at the earliest of grades, has an eye toward college preparation.
Families are deeply involved in student success, as teachers and school leaders get to know each and every student and their backgrounds. Parents and guardians are given the tools to support their children’s success. The school community amplifies the mantra “RISE UP.” It stands for Bronx Excellence’s core values: Respect, Integrity, Success, Etiquette, Unity, and Pride.
A strong mentor-mentee relationship is built into the model of supporting new teachers. You will have ample professional development opportunities to improve your practice, along with camaraderie and support from colleagues. As you grow in your career, Bronx Excellence provides ways to expand your leadership skills and help you build an even greater impact on your students.
Known as a beacon in the neighborhood and a vehicle for positive change in New York, Bronx Excellence is a true community school committed to the academic success of all learners.
- Department of High School Placement. This was created to ensure students are on the right path to achieving excellence. The department provides a roadmap for scholars to explore all of the options available to them at the secondary level.
- Family and community engagement. Through its signature “Build a Bronx” campaign, Bronx Excellence commits to the surrounding community. It works to develop the talent that exists in the neighborhood and invest in the community.
- STEM Innovations. By 2024, all Excellence Community Schools will have a computer science presence at every grade level. In so doing, the network will introduce roughly 5,000 scholars to its computer science curriculum and teach them how to be efficient programmers.
- 30-credit master of arts in teaching (MAT) program
- Meet online with NYU Steinhardt faculty and peers twice per week in the evening for your course work ~15 hours/week
- ~40 hours/week in classroom residency at partner location
- Tuition subsidy and stipend or wage from partner school
- Two-year commitment following residency required
- Full-day cost details
As a teacher resident, you’ll be a teacher fellow in your content area. This means you’ll work alongside another teacher and gain responsibility throughout the year.
During residency year
Residency: End of August 2021
After residency year
The job placement offer is provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee job placement.
The figures above are estimates provided by our partners for informational and planning purposes only. NYU Steinhardt does not guarantee these amounts.