Frequently Asked Questions – Eligibility

Who is eligible for the NYU Steinhardt Teacher Residency?

You must have a bachelor’s degree and 24-30 credits in one of these concentration areas: English, history, math, or science. For special education candidates, you must have a distribution of liberal arts coursework in the four concentration areas. To learn more about the credit requirements, see the qualifications section in Application Process.

What if I don’t have enough credits to qualify for one of these concentration areas?

You must have a minimum of 18 credits in one of the four content areas, or distributed across the content areas for a special education candidacy. You will need to complete the remaining six credit requirements prior to the end of your residency year.

Can I apply to teach in multiple subject areas?

You may apply and be reviewed for multiple content areas if you have the appropriate credits. However, you will be offered a position in the Teacher Residency for only one content area.

Do I need to take the GRE or MAT to be admitted?

Yes. You need GRE or MAT scores on file in order to be admitted. When you apply, you must submit proof that the GRE or MAT is scheduled to be taken before starting the Teacher Residency. However, you do not need to have taken the GRE or MAT in order to apply.

How do I apply or learn more?

RSVP to attend one of our virtual or in-person info sessions (dates, times, and locations listed here on our website). Email us to get a recording. And visit the Application Process page to learn more.

As a new college graduate, when do I need to have my degree conferred by?

You need to have your degree conferred by June of the year you’ll begin the Teacher Residency.