Scholarships and Financial Aid

Our Commitment to Affordability

NYU Steinhardt and its partner schools are committed to assisting graduate applicants in financing their education. All teaching residents are eligible for substantial scholarships and financial aid packages. In addition, our partner schools for the Teacher Residency program will support a sizable portion of the cost of teaching residents’ master’s degree program to make it affordable.

Explore your financial aid opportunities. Because of our scholarship award policies and process, participating in our Teacher Residency program may be well within your reach.

We seek a diverse group of applicants to become teaching residents and encourage you to apply and complete your financial aid application today.

How to Apply for Financial Aid and Scholarships

You must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible and indicate that your data is to be sent to New York University, code number 002785. You must submit a FAFSA each year to determine and renew your financial aid.

Apply Early

Do not wait for an acceptance offer to submit your FAFSA materials. Provided you have submitted your FAFSA and requested that your information be sent to NYU (see above), NYU’s Office of Financial Aid will send you a financial aid package shortly after you have an offer to participate in the Teacher Residency program.

Applying after you receive notification of your acceptance will delay the processing of federal aid and student loans and may result in the loss of consideration for scholarships.

Although it is better use completed tax returns, estimates of your income are acceptable, as long as the amounts do not end up varying significantly from the actual values. You can correct the information later on the FAFSA website. For help in completing the FAFSA, call 800-4-FED-AID.

If you have questions about financial aid, please contact our enrollment specialists, who will connect you with a financial aid counselor who can answer your questions.

Types of Aid – Scholarships, Stipends, and Housing

  • Significant scholarships help cover the cost of your tuition and do not have to be paid back.
  • Stipends are available from our partner schools. These are meant to help you with your educational and living expenses and range from $12,500 to $20,000, depending on the partner school and location.
  • Free residential housing is available from some partner schools. This allows our teacher residents to live and engage with other teaching residents for the duration of the master’s degree program.
  • Student loans help to cover your cost of attendance and will have to be paid back. Read more about federal and private loans.