Embedded MAT Core Faculty
Teachers and Researchers on the Front Lines of Revitalizing Urban Education
Effective teacher education cannot focus solely on the teaching and learning process. Teacher education must be dynamic, and our teachers must be prepared to address the lives of today’s students, their families, the school, and the community.
The Embedded MAT is designed to meet the challenges of teaching and leadership in demanding urban environments. Our faculty have published on a broad range of urban education issues, from school violence, racial segregation, and fiscal inequities between urban and suburban schools, to curriculum and teacher development in primary, middle, and secondary education.
- Anne’s interests include the role of visual images in helping students learn mathematics, and other cultures’ methods for teaching mathematics.
- Past experience: middle and high school mathematics teacher
- Michael studies the language and literacy development of students from linguistically diverse backgrounds, including research that can inform instruction and policy to improve reading outcomes.
- Past experience: middle school teacher
- Susan researches how elementary school children learn the nature of scientific evidence through activities that feature contemporary questions and issues in science.
- Past experience: molecular and cellular biologist
- Diana brings to her work a passion for civic engagement and a commitment to teaching history for democratic change.
- Past experience: English and social studies teacher
- Joe is the author or co-author of nine books about teaching and schooling, including his latest, which examines 20 years of urban school reform.
- Past experience: high school English teacher and principal
- Audrey studies equity and diversity in special education, focusing on postsecondary transitions for adolescents with learning and behavioral/emotional disabilities.
- Past experience: special education high school teacher
- Heather focuses on meeting the academic, linguistic, and social-emotional needs of emergent bilinguals, particularly Muslim immigrant youth who speak less-common languages.
- Past experience: middle and high school TESOL and ELA teacher
- Rosa mentors many new principals, administrators, and teachers as coordinator of partnership schools.
- Past experience: Italian and French teacher, assistant principal of Foreign Languages and ESL, and founding principal of an NYU partnership high school