What grades and subjects can I teach?

Our eligibility requirements in content course work ensure that graduates become the most qualified subject-area teachers, and are ready to apply for certification or credentialing in our partner state residency locations.

Right now, we’re placing interns in middle and high schools.  You’ll be eligible to be certified in NY in one of the following content areas and grades:

  • English: Grades 7 – 12, with an option to apply for a grades 5 – 6 extension 
  • Mathematics: Grades 7 – 12, with an option to apply for a grades 5 – 6 extension 
  • Science: Grades 7 – 12, with an option to apply for a grades 5 – 6 extension 
  • Social studies: Grades 7 – 12, with an option to apply for a grades 5 – 6 extension 
  • Special education generalist: Grades 7 – 12

Please note: Candidates who successfully complete the MAT degree and are interested in applying for certification in New York State or a Level 1 teacher credential in California, can be recommended for certification in New York State. Candidates interested in applying for certification in Florida will apply directly to the Florida Department of Education, with guidance from our district partner in Palm Beach.

NYU Steinhardt is seeking initial institutional approval by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. This approval would allow NYU Steinhardt to sponsor educator preparation programs in California. Interested parties are invited to submit comments that may help to inform the Commission of substantive issues regarding this institution. Comments should be submitted to the Commission at input@ctc.ca.gov. Please note that comments should specify the party’s relationship to the institution (i.e., graduate, present or former faculty member, employer of graduates, other – please specify). All identifying information will remain confidential.

We recommend you explore the information provided for each content area you are interested in applying for. This information is intended to offer guidance to determine which content area(s) your undergraduate and graduate credits may qualify you for in each state where we have residency partners. In some cases, additional courses may be required to match your existing credits to your subject area of choice. 

Prior Teaching Experience Not Required.

Please be advised that licensing agencies and fieldwork placement facilities in your field of study require that you undergo a criminal background check, the results of which the agency or facility must find acceptable before placement or licensure.

Content course work in proposed subject area of teaching quick links:

The course work and fieldwork lead to eligibility for initial teaching certification in New York state. Please visit our Professional Licensure page for more information.

Call: 877-710-6381 | Email: Admissions