Eligibility for Social Studies
30 Credits in Social Studies
Partner Locations in California, Florida, and New York
Note: Social Studies candidates are not eligible for our partner schools in Pennsylvania
If you have 30 credits in social studies (or a minimum of 24 credits*) you are eligible to apply to the Social Studies Education Grades 7-12 program for partner schools in California, Florida, and New York.
Course codes most commonly associated with these courses include HIST, GEO, ECON, POL, GOV, etc.
You must have completed a bachelor’s degree with a strong GPA and a total of 30 credits. Specifically, you need to have completed:
- 3 semester hours of economics
- 3 semester hours of government, politics, or political science
- 21 semester hours of history and geography of the United States and the world
- 3 additional semester hours of history, geography, government, politics, and political science
*If you have 24 or more credit hours in Social Studies, but less than the required 30, you can still be accepted into the Teacher Residency. You would be required to make up the remainder of the credits before the end of your residency year in order to be eligible for recommendation for certification.
18 or More Credits in Social Studies
Partner Locations in Florida
If you have 18 credits in social studies you are eligible to apply to the Social Science Education Grades 5-9 program for partner schools in Florida.
You must have completed a bachelor’s or higher degree with 18 semester hours in social science or social studies to include the areas specified below:
- 6 semester hours in United States history
- Credit in economics
- Credit in geography
- Credit in United States government
- Credit in western civilization or, European, Asian, African, Latin American, or Middle Eastern history